Wednesday 2 February 2011

Target audience research

On my research into how to gain audience feedback I created a questionnaire which was given out to pupils within sixth form. My target audience is people aged 16-18, the reason for this is because they are the same age group as me, which would allow me to gain feedback from them which I could hopefully relate too. Also producing a magazine aimed towards people my age would be easier than aiming it towards people older or younger than me as I don't have the same point of view towards things as they do and most likely wont like the same type of music as them. Below is a image of the questionnaire I gave out for people to answer:
 

As you can see I kept the layout of my questionnaire very plain, with simple short questions. The reason for this is because if my answerer's found that the questions were too long they wouldn't be willing to answer it, also if all the questions were cramped together, it would make it difficult for them to understand which box they are supposed to tick for which answer. The format for my question was a straight forward question with a number of answers for them to choose from by ticking the box next to it, I also had a few question and written answer questions for them to respond to.
The questions and answers:
1. what gender are you?      
Male/Female
2. does your current play list mainly include chart music?       Yes/No
3.what style article do you prefer?       question&answers/article
4.what genre of music do you listen to?       pop&chart /jazz/R&B/rap/dance/pop-rock/indie/screamo/rock/classical/other
5. which shot distance appeals most to you?       extreme close up/ close up/ medium close up/ medium shot/ full length/ long shot   -for these answers I had an image showing examples of each shot.
6. what so you think the magazine should be called?       My answerer just had to write their own opinion on the lines provided.
7. who would you prefer to be featured on the cover?       girl group/ boy group/ solo male artist/ solo female artist/ mixed group
8. name three artists you would like to see on the cover?       My answerer just has to write their own opinion on the lines provided.
9. how many images should there be on my contents page?       1 full page image/ 1 main image/ 2 smaller images/ 3 smaller images/ other
10. do you have any other suggestions towards my music magazine, that would make you more likely to buy it?       My answerer just has to write their own opinion on the lines provided


The results:I handed out 19 questionnaires in total which gave results which would certainly help to create my magazine and allow me to make a definite decision on what I should include in my magazine which would appeal to my target audience. However I have to take into account that some of my questionnaires weren't answered correctly as a few people just tended to tick any random box, I realised this by their written answers, for example one of my responses to question 8.'Name three artists you would like to see on the cover?', was 'me, myself, I'.



The results to the left show that most people in my target audience were male. The reason for me asking this question was because I wanted to know if males had a different point of view towards my questions than what females did, this was proved wrong because the majority of each sex answered the questions the same. I knew that some people wouldn't answer my questionnaire seriously, which I thought would be the males but their was a few females that couldn't be bothered to answer my written questions, despite this I still got valid answers that I am able to relate too.

To the right is the results regarding whether or not people mainly listen to chart music (recent up to date music in the charts). The majority answered yes, however there was still quite a large amount of people who answered no. The reason for asking this question was to give me an idea of who I should include within the magazine that would appeal to my target audience to make them buy it; the same reason for me asking question 8 (name three artists you would like to see on the cover).

The results shown on the right follows on from the question above because I wanted to look more closely into the style of music people preferred, which would allow me to be able to decide what/who I was to write about within my magazine. As I know what genre people mainly prefer this allows me to be able to know what genre I should design my magazine to be and what type of images should be used, to draw my audience in to view this magazine.

My results shown on the left have informed me that my target audience prefers a questions and answers style article, basically a interview. However despite how my target audience answered this question I decided that I was going to create a interview style article because I prefer the layout of it and I find them more interesting than a article/story that you have to sit and read. You get the point of view from the interviewee which makes interview articles more enjoyable.

The majority of my target audience selected the medium shot over the other ones given. When showing this question on the questionnaire I gave my target audience and example of each shot, so they knew what each shot was. I think the majority chosen medium shot because it the main shot that is used on most magazines because  you never tend to see a extreme close up or along shot on a magazine cover, it is always a medium type of shot.

The results shown to the right has two favourites chosen by my target audience. The two that were popular are solo female artist and mixed group; I am quite please with this result because I was going to ask a female or a male to pose for the front cover image, rather than a group image.


The results to the left have two popular results chosen because they have the equal about of people that have picked them as the best choice for how many images I should include. Depending on how well my images turn out and how much information I am wanting to put in the contents, will help me decide if I want a full page; I think I would prefer to one main image of two smaller ones rather than full page image.

No comments:

Post a Comment